Here's what I did to teach my kiddos.
1. I introduced the idea of the multiplication chart...most were already familiar.
2. I taught several students in small groups and they caught on and continued filling in their first one.
3. They started practicing on their own as they finish their math test prep station each day. (Some of them LOVE it...I'm not sure why, but they do and they race each other then check the other person's...I'm not stopping them.)
4. Today, we started timing. I put one of the fun timers up on the screen and had it countdown from 10 minutes. They filled in as much as they could. Most finished!!
5. After we had our first timed attempt, I gave them 5 more minutes to finish or check their chart with a preprinted one on our math study buddies.
6. Then, I put a blank one up and we practiced counting multiples 1-12. I filled it out while they said them. We did reeeaaalllly slow counting, quick counting, high-pitched counting, etc. They ate it up.
7. I asked which ones that struggled with remembering. They said 7's and 12's. So, we practiced each of those a few times clapping them out.
8. Continue practicing daily until students are confident. I also like them to be able to make it start to finish correctly in under 8 minutes.
You may be thinking, "Doesn't she hate herself because her class doesn't know their facts?" Well, no. I tried...really...tried. But, they ALL don't know them fluently yet. So, this is my band-aid in the meantime.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin